Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the position of a website in a search engine’s non-sponsored (organic) results.
In search results Google displays a list of pages it considers most relevant and authoritative. Authority is mostly determined by the number and quality of links to a site from other relevant and high quality web pages. In simple terms your web pages have the potential to rank well in Google so long as other web pages link to you.
In general, the closer a website appears to the top of page 1 on Google or Bing and the more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive and these visitors can be potentially converted into customers.
As a marketing strategy, SEO considers
- How search engines work
- What people search for
- The actual search terms or keywords typed into search engines
- Which search engines are preferred by their targeted audience.
Optimizing a website may involve editing its content and coding to increase its relevance to specific keywords and to remove any barriers to the indexing by search engines. Promoting a site to increase the number of backlinks, or inbound links, is another SEO tactic.
As of May 2015, mobile search finally overtook desktop search. Google is developing and pushing mobile search as the future in all of its products so net savvy brands are taking note and changing their internet marketing strategies. Anybody ignoring these trends is going to be left behind, so a mobile website that is responsive and built to accepted standards is now crucial to every business.
Help your site appear in Google
Useful, and authoritative content encourages people to visit, follow, link to your pages and indicates to Google that your pages are high quality and worthy of high rank. This leads to search engine success because Google’s goal is to show interesting and authoritative pages in its search results.
How to get better search engine results
- Write genuine, up to date, relevant and useful content that uses words and phrases used by people who search for your products and services.
- Make your content easy for people to share and link to (social media etc.).
- Keep doing it…. SEO is not a one-off task it’s ongoing and evolving. New content is king and there are no shortcuts to success!
SEO “gurus” – avoid them!
SEO is a lucrative market and sadly still full of cowboys who will promise the earth and deliver very little … based on a promise that cannot be guaranteed despite the false claims to do so. You can end up paying a mortgage to a stranger who help your search engine rankings improve over time … a lot of time. Time while you are still paying a hefty monthly fee.
Ask some SEO companies about SEO and they’ll try and blind you with science and confuse you into thinking it’s a dark art. Ask some companies what is SEO and many hours later you’ll be none the wiser. SEO is not a mystery, it is just constant and focused marketing that adapts to a changing environment and stays in tune with guide lines and research. It is a full time job for an expert so expect to pay a full time, professional wage.
- Only Google knows how Google works and how their strategies change over time.
- Anyone who tells you otherwise is either telling lies or fooling themselves (or you).
- NOBODY can guarantee you top ten listing on page one of Google. If they could they would be multi billionaires.
- How can everyone possibly fit into those top ten places? It’s nonsense to make such claims
- DO NOT BE TAKEN IN BY EMPTY PROMISES.
Do your homework and understand what kind of content your potential customers are looking for. Create a great site, create content that people need and make it easy for them to share it. Do this and you should start to see your website traffic increase.
Artworks unlimited is not an SEO company but we do take care of standard on-page SEO requirements.
If you need advice on specialist SEO Call Paul on 07788 931 511